Pink is the new color of fall! That’s right, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women (lung cancer being #1). According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), it strikes one in eight U.S. women, or 12%. And it’s a huge concern for Baby Boomers and seniors, with the majority of cases occurring after menopause (although the incidence in older women has been decreasing slightly).
While no super food will prevent or cure cancer, here are a few tips for nutritional support and beneficial lifestyle changes:
1) Being overweight or obese increases the risk of developing breast cancer. Strive for eating habits that maintain a healthy body weight.
2) A diet rich in fruits and vegetables provides important nutrients, anti-inflammatories, and antioxidants to keep your body vibrant. Strive for 7+ servings per day.
3) Drink with care. Limit alcohol to no more than 2 drinks per day for men and 1 for women.
4) Movement is also critical to protect your body. Find a physical activity you enjoy, and aim for 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per week.
To help power through your day and support anti-cancer efforts, here’s a beautiful and protective October pink smoothie!
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 serving plant-based protein powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend at high speed for 30 seconds.
This smoothie is only 290 calories, and contains 17 grams of plant protein, 15 grams of fiber, and lots of healthful phytonutrients.
For a healthful plant-based smoothie mix, try Juice Plus Complete.